Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Else Lasker-Schüler: poems

MY BLUE PIANO

At home I have a blue piano
but cannot play a single note.
It stands in the dark of the cellar door
since the world went savage.

"Four starry hands play,"
Moon Woman sang in her boat.
Now rats dance in a clatter.
The keyboard is shattered.
I weep over the dead blue thing.

Dearest Angel, I have eaten
such bitter bread. Please open
for me while still alive— even though
it is forbidden—Heaven’s door.


MEIN BLAUES KLAVIER

Ich habe zu Hause ein blaues Klavier
Und kenne doch keine Note.

Es steht im Dunkel der Kellertür,
Seitdem die Welt verrohte.

Es spielten Sternenhände vier
-Die Mondfrau sang im Boote-
Nun tanzen die Ratten im Geklirr.

Zerbrochen ist die Klaviatür.....
Ich beweine die blaue Tote.

Ach liebe Engel öffnet mir
-Ich aß vom bitteren Brote-
Mir lebend schon die Himmelstür-
Auch wider dem Verbote.

3 comments:

Jonathan Katz said...

I'd be most grateful to know who is the translator of Lasker-Schüler's 'Blue Piano'. Could you please tell me? Jonathan Katz

Dasho Zala said...



I found this while browsing for the poem. This version of the translation also reads fine.
My Blue Piano
TRANSLATED BY ANNE STOKES
Back home I have a blue piano
Yet I can’t play a single note.

It’s been standing in the shadow of the cellar door
Since the world became savage.

Four star-hands played it before
– The moon lady sang in the boat –
Now the rats dance to the clattering.

The keyboard’s smashed to pieces.
I weep for the blue deceased.

Oh dear angels, open up for me
– I’ve eaten from the bitter bread –
The gate to heaven while I’m still living –
Even though it’s forbidden.

Maria said...

Watch and Download world's famous action drama series Kurulus Osman Season 3 in English on link below
👇
Kurulus Osman Season 3

Kurulus Osman Season 3 Episode 1
On link below
Kurulus Osman Season 3 Episode 1

Crypto trading course
Join on link below
Crypto quantum leap

Online YouTube course
Be a professional YouTuber and start your carrier
Tube Mastery and Monetization by matt

Best product for tooth pain ,
Cavity ,
Tooth decay ,
And other oral issues
Need of every home
With discount
And digistore money back guarantee
Steel Bite Pro